Saturday, September 15, 2012

Facts of Life (Austin)


Austin you left the world way too soon
The tears that stained my face and wet my pillow that night was a monsoon
Of emotions of the kid I never really knew
For three years I talked to you

And you loved Halo and Pokemon
And the color green
And a guest you always were
Never wanting to be blue

Because blue isn’t happy
Blue is sad and the chilly air bites
And nips at my arms
And I think of you in the ground some 3000 miles away

And I get chills
Goosebumps form and my arm hair stands on end
Because a happy boy to me
Might be unhappy to himself

And I wish I could have fixed that
And I know it’s not my fault
But I want to help you always
So this year I’ll walk

Walk out of the darkness
Walk out of the hurt
Walk out of the shadows
Walk out of the cold

Walk into the brightness
Walk into loving arms
Walk into the light
Walk into the warmth

Because no one deserves to die at age 17
Not you or me
Not the boy across the street
Not the boy in Uganda
Not the boy in Ukraine
Not the girl in Venezuela
Not the girl in Uzbekistan

Because life is so precious
You have to hold onto what you have
Because otherwise it’s just a waste
Of the gift God has granted to us

So go out and change the world
Go out and make a mistake
Go out and be a fool in love
Because you have the rest of your life to be right

And as chills consume my body
And my soul is growing weary
I think of my best friends hugging
And I feel warm once more

No comments:

Post a Comment