Thursday, February 23, 2012

Teacher's Assistant

Today is my last full day of being a teacher's assistant. At first, I didn't know what to think of these kids, but slowly, I came to appreciate them. They're a good bunch, even if they can be annoying sometimes. I think these 12 weeks have really prepared me for what dealing with students is going to be like if I'm going to be a high school history teacher.

Things they've taught me:

  1. Don't be a stickler for little things.
  2. Don't assume they are copying work when you don't even know what's going on.
  3. Do connect with them.
  4. Do make jokes.
  5. Empathize with them and their situation (because you were there two years earlier).
  6. DON'T think you're prepared to teach a lesson (because you probably aren't at all)

If any one of you guys reads this, I wish you the best of luck in your high school career and beyond.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Timtim... I will use this in the future, considering that I also want to be a high school or college history teacher/professor!

    ReplyDelete